Sunday, August 23, 2015

A second half summary using common themes of groups of three poems ( which is the pattern I started in my first bog ) will round out my study of Ms. Gluck's poetry book, "Faithful and Virtuous Night" The first three ( poems 13,14, & 15) deal with situations involving professions in the arts, such as; an artist, a musician, and a writer. Also, outside agents produce change. In the poem "Sword In the Stone", it is the medicine and the therapist's watchfulness; in "Forbidden Music" it's the actual performance of the forbidden music and in "The Open Window" it's the wind itself.

 Poems 16, 17, & 18 have a lack of physical movement as a common theme, while the next group
( poems 19, 20, & 21 ) deals with approaching death. Finally, there is a sense of being alone in the last three poems 22, 23, & 24. I particularly liked the poetic description found in the last poem, "The Couple in the Park":..... her heart springs open like a child's music box. And out of the box comes a little ballerina made of wood.

As I said in my previous blog, the second half of this book is for me "the dark side of the moon". My least favorite poems are "The Melancholy Assistant", A Foreshortened Journey" and :Approach to the Horizon" since these deal with a lack of physical movement. I feel being positively connected to our world and being "pro active" is essential to good health.

On the other hand, the most favorite poem for me is: "The Past" because Ms. Gluck uses unusual details to describe being in a hammock and the poem also appeals to the senses which is one of the things I like to do in poetry.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment